Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Smoothies

Ooh, smoothies, how you make my heart swoon.  All your nutritional goodness packed in one deliciously yummy beverage.  How you can be a drink, or a whole meal.

Some people reach for their coffee pot each morning. I reach for my blender.

Smoothies are an excellent way to pack tons of nutrition in one glass.  In this house we usually have green smoothies.  This means we add some serious greens to it- spinach, kale,romaine lettuce, etc.  Don't let that scare you though.  You can make these smoothies without tasting the greens.  Here's how.



In your blender, put two bananas, a cup of frozen fruit, and some spinach (or whatever greens you want.)  If you haven't had green smoothies before, I would start out with a small amount of spinach, maybe a handful, or even less if you think you'll be really sensitive to the taste.  Add water to your blender.  Blend it all up and enjoy!



I started with one small handful of spinach when I started drinking green smoothies.  Now I put an average of three large handfuls of spinach in it.  I also will add spirulina powder to it.  Sometimes I add flax seeds,chia seeds, dates....whatever I feel like.  I find if you keep the base the same (bananas, fruit, greens) you can play around with it and add many different things!

We usually put water in ours, but sometimes I'll put orange juice in it. Orange juice is pretty much the only store-bought juice I buy.  I figure buying 100% orange juice is definitely better than buying most other juices.  And although in the ideal situation I'd be juicing my own orange juice, I also have three busy small children and a busy life!  You have to pick and choose what works for you, right?

If you are new around here, you may have missed my previous posts about smoothies.  Check out my pumpkin smoothie, and my green pumpkin smoothie.

No comments:

Post a Comment